Select the Dashboard actions three-dot menu in the upper right of the dashboard and choose Schedule delivery. If you do not see the Schedule delivery option, talk to your Looker admin about your assigned permissions.
Once you select Schedule delivery, either an existing schedules window appears or a schedule and send window appears, depending on whether you have already created existing schedules on the dashboard.
Existing Schedule Window
You can perform the following functions in the existing schedules window:
- Select Send now to send an immediate delivery of existing scheduled content without disrupting the scheduled cadence.
- Select the three-dot menu to edit, duplicate, or delete a schedule.
- Select Done to exit the window.
- Select New to open the schedule and send window and create a new schedule or immediately send a new delivery.
Schedule and send window
If you select New from the existing schedules window, or, if you do not have any pre-existing schedules for the dashboard, a schedule and send window opens. This window lets you customize recurrence, destination, format, filters, and more:
The Settings tab in the schedule and send window lets you customize your delivery's recurrence, destination, format, and more.
Naming a delivery
The top of the schedule and send window shows the name that is automatically given to the delivery. The name defaults to the dashboard's name. To edit the delivery's name, select the name (indicated by the dotted underscore), and make your edits.
Depending on the destination of your delivery, the title may also appear in other places:
- For email deliveries, the title is used for the email's subject line and as part of the filename if you select a format that uses an email attachment.
- For deliveries to an Amazon S3 bucket, the title is used in the filename of the delivery and in any error emails that are sent. The filename of the delivery follows the format TITLE_TIMESTAMP_HASH, where HASH is a random six-character identifier and TIMESTAMP follows the pattern YYYY-MM-DDTHHMM (for example, the timestamp portion would look like 2019-05-31T0933 for May 31, 2019 at 9:33 AM).
Customize the timing of your delivery in the Recurrence section.
If you select Send now from the Recurrence drop-down menu, a one-time delivery of the dashboard is sent after you fill in the required fields and select the Send now button at the bottom of the window.
Time-based and date-based schedules
Select one of the following options from the Recurrence drop-down menu:
- Specific months
- Specific days
Timing options change depending on the option that you choose. For example, the Hourly settings include a Start time and an End time. Looker will send the delivery every hour starting at the Start time and ending at the End time
The Time, Start, and End fields use a 24-hour clock. If the desired time is not available in the drop-down menu, select the field and manually enter your desired time, such as 9:15 or 15:37.
Hourly and Minutes schedules repeat daily within the Start and End timeframe that you set. The end time for Hourly and Minutes intervals is not inclusive. The last delivery is sent at the last selected interval prior to the specified end time. For example, if a dashboard is scheduled Hourly between 12:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m., then it is sent on the hour, every hour, from 12:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. If a recurrence is every 30 minutes between 12:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m., then the last delivery is sent at 10:30 p.m.
Forethought Support 2 modes of destinations.
2. AWS S3 bucket
The Destination setting displays two destination options for dashboard deliveries. Once you've selected a data destination, a new setting field appears for you to add specific details about that destination, such as an email address or a S3 bucket settings.
When Email is selected in the Destination field, a new Email addresses field appears. This is a required field.
Enter the email addresses of the recipients in the Email addresses field. If you're entering multiple email addresses, select the Enter key, or add a comma, after each address.
See the Advanced options section on this page for more information about email deliveries.
Amazon S3 buckets are a common way to store large amounts of data. You or your company will need to have created an S3 bucket with Amazon before Looker can use it.
When Amazon S3 is selected in the Destination field, several new fields appear and prompt you for information about your Amazon S3 bucket:
- Bucket: The name of your Amazon S3 bucket. This is a required field.
- Optional Path: The folder, if any, that you want to save your data to.
- Access Key: The Access Key ID to your S3 bucket, provided by Amazon. This is a required field.
- Secret Key: The Secret Access Key to your S3 bucket, provided by Amazon. This is a required field.
- Region: The Amazon services region where your S3 bucket is hosted.
The Advanced options tab provides additional customization for your delivery. The options available depend on the selected destination and format of your delivery.
This option is available only for the email destination.
Enter a message you would like included in the body of emails to recipients. Looker limits the number of characters in a custom message to 1,500.
This option is available only for PDF formats of dashboard deliveries.
You have the option to specify the optimal size and orientation of dashboard PDFs by selecting from the Paper size drop-down menu. Large visualizations or groups of overlapping dashboard tiles may need to be resized to fit cleanly on a PDF page.
Delivery time zone
By default, the timezone is set as PST (Pacific Standard Time)
If you want to specify a different time zone, select the time zone from the drop-down menu. The time zone you select does not affect the data in your Look or dashboard, just the timing of the delivery.
The Filters tab in the schedule and send window shows any filters applied to the dashboard as well as their values. In this tab, you can edit the values for any existing filters applied to the dashboard and the new values will be applied to the delivery. The dashboard itself will not be affected.
You cannot add filters to your schedule in the Filters tab, only view and edit the values for existing dashboard filters.